How coachable are you? Have you ever wondered? It’s not just a matter of knowing whether you’d benefit from hiring a business coach. Instead, coachability comes down to having the flexibility to grow and the humility to be taught, whether that’s through an online course or a one-on-one mentorship program.
Being coachable isn’t a leadership skill often discussed, but it’s crucial if you want to become the best possible version of yourself. Here’s what you need to know.
How Coachable Are You?
Not everyone is coachable. Some people think they desire to learn but are stuck in their ways. Some people don’t want to make time for the inner work that needs to be done. Some people simply don’t care enough to be disciplined about improving themselves. These people don’t tend to be outstanding business leaders, at least not for long.
So, how coachable are you? Do you have potential? These questions can help you find out.
- Are you reliable? Coaching requires regular appointments and homework to be done on your own time. Can you commit to meeting deadlines and showing up when you say you will?
- Can you make the time? Often people feel they’re too busy for any additional learning, but there’s never a perfect season when your schedule will magically clear up. You must make the time, no matter how many other things you have going on.
- Do you see a need for change? If you feel like things are going perfectly well for you right now, you’re not going to benefit much from coaching. Without an incentive to improve, you’ll likely stay the same.
- Can you leave your comfort zone? Your coach will ask you to try new things that are uncomfortable for you. Even if you don’t think they’ll work, you need to be willing to try.
- Are you honest with yourself and others? To grow and change, you need to be honest about what’s working and not working in your life (and admit it to your coach.)
- Can you make the investment? Coaching isn’t free, but you should see the financial component as an investment in your future. If you can’t see that right now, you’re not ready for coaching.
Suppose you answered “yes” to most of the questions above, congratulations! You’re coachable.
If not, though, don’t worry—you’re not a lost cause. Coachability can be achieved through time, introspection, and changing circumstances. Continue to be honest with yourself about your discipline and potential blind spots, then revisit this quiz in a few months. You might be surprised to see how things have changed.
How coachable are you? Are you ready to find out? I’m here to help. Click on my get started form for a complimentary session to work on your personal and professional growth with an experienced business coach.
- 5 Surefire Strategies to Improve Customer Retention - May 12, 2022
- Ideas for Leaders: How to Create Your Best Practices for Managing Remote Teams - May 5, 2022
- Don’t Give Up: How to Deal with a Difficult Boss - April 28, 2022