I once heard a comment that if you want to talk to business leaders, you should call them at 5 in the morning because they’ll already be awake. If you are like many, you wake up in the pre-dawn hours of the day worrying about things that you can’t control. There is something about that time of the morning that makes us anxious and negative.
We criticize our performance, worry about what we haven’t done, and torment ourselves about the unknown. To combat this, I carry a laminated card that has this saying: “Worry is the misuse of your imagination.” Instead of using this early-morning time to worry, you can put it to good use and increase your productivity by creating an entrepreneur morning routine.
Best Morning Routine for Successful People
While your entrepreneur morning routine will vary depending on the nature of your industry and your own needs, there are a few essential tactics that everyone can benefit from. In no particular order, here are five tips for starting your day off on the right foot.
- Start the night before. Before you go to sleep, make a list of every task, you need to accomplish the next day. Productivity leader Brian Tracy recommends considering the 80/20 rule: that is, if there are ten items on your list, 2 of them are likely to be more important than the other eight put together. Put those two at the top of your list.
- Eliminate distractions. To maximize your productivity, leave your phone in another room, and whatever you do, don’t check your email inbox first thing in the morning. You should endeavor to create a calm environment for yourself to accomplish your primary task of the day.
- Clear your mind. Many successful people make time for meditation or something similar as part of their morning routine. The benefits of meditation are well-documented, and it can help lower your stress levels while increasing your resilience for the day ahead.
- Get physical. Incorporating exercise into your entrepreneur morning routine gets the blood pumping and helps you feel energized and ready to start the day.
- Complete one task. By accomplishing one task first thing in the morning, ideally your most important one, you create momentum that you can build off of for the rest of the day.
How Do I Create a Daily Routine?
The thing about creating an entrepreneur morning routine is that to be productive; you have to stick to it. You’re more likely to do this if the routine is perfectly customized to suit your lifestyle. Rather than emulating the exact routines of other successful entrepreneurs, choose the techniques that best apply to your unique circumstances, and build a routine that’s truly yours.
It’s often said that it takes 21 days to make a habit. For three weeks, schedule ample time into your day to perform your morning routine. Stick with it even on weekends to reinforce these new habits in your mind.
During this time period, evaluate which aspects of your entrepreneur morning routine leave you feeling fulfilled and what areas you feel are lacking. Make changes accordingly. While your morning routine should be consistent with achieving the best results, you’re more likely to keep up with it if every part of the method works together to make your life easier.
Your entrepreneur morning routine isn’t something that has to take effect overnight. If you want to work on developing a morning routine that works for you, fill out my contact form and let’s schedule a complimentary video call.
- Working From Home? How to Avoid Time Wasters & be Productive - September 17, 2020
- 5 Pro Tips: How to Recover From a Business Failure - September 10, 2020
- Build Your Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude - September 3, 2020