Last Updated on April 11, 2023 by Dave Schoenbeck
I once heard a comment that if you want to talk to business leaders, you should call them at 5 in the morning because they’ll already be awake. If you are like many, you wake up in the pre-dawn hours of the day worrying about things you can’t control. Something about that time of the morning makes us anxious and negative.
We criticize our performance, worry about what we haven’t done, and torment ourselves about the unknown. To combat this, I carry a laminated card that has this saying: “Worry is the misuse of your imagination.” So instead of using this early-morning time to worry, you can put it to good use and increase your productivity by creating an entrepreneur morning routine.
Best Morning Routine for Successful People
While your entrepreneur’s morning routine will vary depending on your industry’s nature and needs, everyone can benefit from a few essential tactics. In no particular order, here are five tips for starting your day on the right foot.
- Start the night before. Before you sleep, list every task you need to accomplish the next day. Productivity leader Brian Tracy recommends considering the 80/20 rule: if ten items are on your list, two are likely to be more important than the other eight. So put those two at the top of your list.
- Eliminate distractions. To maximize your productivity, leave your phone in another room, and whatever you do, don’t check your email inbox first thing in the morning. Instead, it would help if you endeavored to create a calm environment to accomplish your primary task of the day.
- Clear your mind. Many successful people make time for meditation or something similar as part of their morning routine. The benefits of meditation are well-documented, and it can help lower your stress levels while increasing your resilience for the day ahead.
- Get physical. Incorporating exercise into your entrepreneur morning routine gets the blood pumping and helps you feel energized and ready to start the day.
- Complete one task. By accomplishing one task first thing in the morning, ideally your most important one, you create momentum for the rest of the day.
How Do I Create a Daily Routine?
The thing about creating an entrepreneur morning routine is that to be productive, you have to stick to it. You’re more likely to do this if the routine is perfectly customized to suit your lifestyle. Rather than emulating the exact patterns of other successful entrepreneurs, choose the techniques that best apply to your unique circumstances and build a truly yours routine.
It’s often said that it takes 21 days to make a habit. Schedule ample time into your day for three weeks to perform your morning routine. Then, stick with it even on weekends to reinforce these new habits in your mind.
During this period, evaluate which aspects of your entrepreneur morning routine leave you feeling fulfilled and what areas you think are lacking. Make changes accordingly. While your morning routine should be consistent with achieving the best results, you’re more likely to keep up with it if every part of the method works together to make your life easier.
Your entrepreneur morning routine isn’t something that has to take effect overnight. If you want to develop a morning routine that works for you, fill out my contact form, and let’s schedule a complimentary video call.