Last Updated on December 12, 2022 by Dave Schoenbeck
Jeffrey Gitomer is one of my favorite sales experts and authors. His book, The Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude is not about sales but success. A quote that I love is, “it’s your thoughts behind the words you speak that create your attitude.” Indeed, if you want to be successful in business and life, attitude is everything.
Lessons from The Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude
The Yes! Attitude book is full of wisdom Gitomer gained during his long career. Here are a few pearls of wisdom from The Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude that I think will be particularly useful for any business leader.
- Change your input to change your attitude. If you seek a positive mind and a positive attitude, you must expose yourself to positive information and hang around positive people.
- You were born to win, but you must plan, prepare, and expect to win. It doesn’t happen overnight.
- Similarly, the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win, but not everyone is willing to do the work. The work is how you achieve success.
- You will get whatever you want if you help enough people get whatever they want. In the business world, people-pleasing is necessary. It would be best if you approached every interaction, from your customers to fellow business owners, with a willingness to help. That mindset will get you far.
- Ignore people who will tell you, “you can’t.” Instead, surround yourself with people who will encourage you to shoot for the stars.
- If you have nothing beautiful to say, say nothing. You don’t want to be a naysayer in anyone’s life. That will only prevent them from reaching their full potential.
- Don’t dwell on or complain about the problem: concentrate on the solution. Complaints without action achieve nothing and bring down the mood of everyone else. Focus on what can be done instead of what can’t be changed.
- Forgive and move forward. Grudges block positivity. Until you clear the past, you are destined to repeat it.
- A failure is an event, not a person. Think of failure as “it,” not “me.” One failure does not define who you are. Every business leader experiences some degree of failure in their career. It’s not what happens to you: it’s what you do with what happens to you.
- Every obstacle presents an opportunity if you are looking for it. A Yes! Attitude means seeking out the silver lining in every setback.
- Hard work makes luck. Working hard to accomplish your goals will do more for you than a lucky break ever will.
- It’s not what you say; it’s how you say it. So be mindful of the way you communicate. You indeed catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
The Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude is a valuable tool for any business leader if you want to develop your Yes! Attitude, a business coach can help. Click on my contact form for a complimentary coaching session, and we’ll discuss how to put the Little Gold Book of Yes! to work for you.