Much has been written about the successful traits of real leaders. Here is my recipe for a leader that I would follow:
- Attitude: Real leaders stay positive and their attitude never varies in public. Ever.
- Purpose: I have an understandable plan and we are going there soon.
- Urgency: The plan needs to be actioned today, not tomorrow, not next week.
- Passion: I believe in this mission and if you are a winner, line up behind me.
- Creativity: People like to sense that, with me, they are plowing new fields.
- Loyalty: Protect your people but if loyalty ever wavers, it’s time to upgrade talent.
- Intellectual Curiosity: The best people on your team are the ones that challenge you.
- Courage: If it’s important, you need to fight through the rejection, the objections, noise, and the BS.
- Honesty: Go ahead and admit that you made a mistake, and if you read the facts incorrectly.
- Tact: Thinking before you speak is a learned art-form. Practice and be respected.
- Style: It’s who you are how you act when the stuff hits the fan. Remember that they are watching.
- Willingness to Make Mistakes: Aggressive leaders often fall in the mud. Read about Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, and many others. Mud washes off.
- Risk Tolerance: Mistakes are a full-contact sport. Dust off your jeans and re-engage.
- Modesty: It’s about them, not you. If not, your purpose compass is off. Find true north.
- Celebrate Success: Party when it works and have the guts to debrief it honestly when it doesn’t.
Go ahead and get me started. I could make a list of the top 100, and I can’t wait to tell you more.
- Proven Characteristics of Wildly Successful Salespeople - November 19, 2020
- Creative Ways & Ideas to Increase Business Referrals - November 12, 2020
- The Top 10 Alarming Reasons Why Franchises Fail - November 5, 2020