Please excuse me, but I am going to be Mr. Obvious to many of you, yet I keep meeting very accomplished people that are stunned and baffled with this concept . . .
So here is the really big secret: If you manage or lead a team of people on this beautiful planet, one of the primary ways to ensure that you will improve your group’s results, is to develop a list of key metrics and then track & report the results weekly or monthly.
Many years ago, this concept was hammered into my developing cranium by the incredibly focused senior management team of a company that I worked for. This group of leaders fostered this philosophy and held every group accountable for showing improvement.
Guess what? Measurement and accountability really works, yet it astounds me how un-natural this is to many people.
So here are 7 tips for you and your team:
- Work up a list of internal metrics that will help you run your business better.
- Keep the list shorter than you want
- Enlist your team in gathering the information
- Report the results weekly and look for trends
- Openly discuss and display the numbers
- When there is an aberration; find out why
- Turn the why into a tactical adjustment to get it back inline
It sounds simple, but it plays tougher. If you really want to change your team’s performance, start here. Listen carefully grasshopper, this works!
- Learn How to Confidently Deal with Underperforming Employees - October 21, 2021
- Undeniable Marketing Tips for Small Businesses - October 14, 2021
- Marketing Agency Tip: Identify and Qualify Your Ideal Client - October 7, 2021